Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » I Am Struggling with Hallucinations & Feelings of Disconnect with Reality

I Am Struggling with Hallucinations & Feelings of Disconnect with Reality

I keep encountering figures of a humans that appear in front of me when no one is there. Sometimes the figures look like a real person while other times they look like a fuzzy version of the human figure. I have also seen versions of human clothes in front of me, but these don’t have not any heads or limbs but frighten me enough to check and see if someone is actually there. These have been happening a couple times a week for the past month. I am also experiencing this constant disconnect from my physical body in which I feel that I have lost touch with it or that I don’t control what it does and it feels as though I am a separate entity of thoughts that floats away and watches these events happen in third person. I don’t feel connected to my physical body or feel a connection to world that is around me. I have felt this disconnect for years but both of these symptoms are just starting to cause problems by making it hard for me to take care of myself communicate with others and get work completed. I don’t know what to do, what disorder could these be symptoms of?

A.

Your hallucinations are of concern. You also might be experiencing depersonalization. Depersonalization is the feeling of being disconnected from your body. The cause of depersonalization is unknown but might be the result of severe trauma, drug use, organic brain disorders or certain types of psychotic disorders.

It would be wise to undergo an evaluation. It’s unclear if you are experiencing symptoms of a mental health or a physical health condition. Some of your symptoms are characteristic of both. Therefore, a specialist might be needed to determine the problem.

Report your symptoms to your primary care physician (PCP). He or she can determine whether a referral is necessary. This referred specialist might be a mental health professional or a neurologist. Your PCP will know best. Please take care.