Home » I Want to Improve Myself and Control Emotions

I Want to Improve Myself and Control Emotions

I had very rough teenage years. My parents did not allow me to go out with my friends. They were always worried about I might be abused by some guys. They still think so. They also do not allow my younger sisters to go out with their friends often. In my family, if you do not study hard, you will not be loved. My parents are used to torture my younger sisters since they do not study sincerely as much as I did. I spend my whole life having frightened because of my parents. If I have a time machine, I will go back to my childhood and change myself. I wouldn’t study much so that my parents cannot compare myself with my sisters and they would have a better childhood. Sometimes I want to kill myself because of them, I really do. How can I improve my psychological condition? (From Bangladesh)

A.

Killing yourself isn’t the answer. Dealing effectively with the anger and resentment for your parents highly conditional love is. Your disappointment in their treatment of you needs to be channeled into self-development. At 25 years of age it is time to seek a more independent life. You did not cause your sisters’ situation — you were a child and did the absolute best you could. It is time now for you to do more independent of your family.

Your status is that of a student in her final year of study. It is time to get support and make a plan. I do not know the university you are attending, but I am certain they have support for students. The closest one to you, the University of Dhaka, for instance, has a health services center. If you are attending there, they can direct you to some counseling and help you plan for your future as you cope with the dynamics of your family.