Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think My Mom Is Going Crazy

I Think My Mom Is Going Crazy

My mother is 43 years of age. Within the last couple years, she has been getting worse. She claims that there are ghosts in the house that want to hurt her. Along with the constant saying that, I’m lying to her that I don’t love her and that I was never there for her. She claims that I always go run to my dad for everything and she is very paranoid about everything. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I try to get her to go get help but she doesn’t want to. She never was a fan of going to the doctor. She is always talking about killing herself when she gets into a rage. She told me that she had a dream that she went to heaven and that’s where she wants to be. Can you please give me an answer to as of what I can do?

I Think My Mom Is Going Crazy

A.

I can appreciate how difficult it must be to live with her — and at 20 years old, I think it is time to use some other resources to get her help. The first place to turn to is your dad. He is likely to be a person who can sympathize with your situation and may be able to pull together resources for both you and her.

Secondly, I would contact the local woman’s center. I have checked and there is actually one right in your town — call them and explain your situation. While they are primarily medically oriented — I am certain they are familiar with counseling services close-by. You need this for yourself, and the counselors there can help you find ways to cope with your mom.

I Think My Mom Is Going Crazy