Home » Disorders » Depression » Is My Depression Something I Should Seek Help For?

Is My Depression Something I Should Seek Help For?

My depressive episodes are really weird. They sometimes last around 2 weeks (my best guess is around 13-18 days but my most recent episode lasted a month) and during this time it’s absolutely horrible. I’m super suicidal during those weeks and I get crying spells. I also won’t be able to stop SI’ing and I get super scared of myself because I think that I might actually take my life. It got super bad at one point where I started hearing and seeing things (happened to me last year; not that recent though) and it was almost like another part of me was haunting me and telling me to kill myself. While I’m not depressed I feel ok-ish, sad but I’m no longer crying and it’s not interfering with my daily life anymore. Along with this I get a lot of anxiety for no reason at all (shaking, weird feeling in stomach etc). But then sometimes my mood randomly drops to depression and that lasts about maybe 2-3 hours or so (maybe a bit more). And then after all this I finally feel back to normal (like the normal ‘ok’ until my next relapse). Also another thing I should mention is that at the times I am happy I know I’m going to crash big time. The most recent time I remember being happy was late December 2014- January 2015 and then I crashed. But I don’t think it’s bipolar because I wasn’t manic or such. I was just a normal happy person. So is this normal or should I seek professional help for this? I’m really unsure if I should. Thank you. (age 18, from Canada)

A.

No, these problems are not normal and you should definitely seek professional help. Your depressive episodes sound quite severe, even if they are not long in duration. I would suggest that you seek an evaluation from both a psychiatrist and a therapist. You don’t have to live this way, please see someone soon.