Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » Self Harm/Maybe Bipolar?

Self Harm/Maybe Bipolar?

I am an 18 yr old girl and I have recently been having trouble with self harm. I used to cut in the past but got help and medication (Zoloft). I cannot stop hitting myself and slamming my head against walls. I have taken quizzes for things such a bipolar disorder and have scored a high number. Yet, the quizzes are not helpful because the questions are hard to answer when you are feeling many different emotions. My boyfriend is always worried about me because I often get extremely irritated, which is when I start to hurt myself. I’m just not sure where to go from here.

Self Harm/Maybe Bipolar?

A.

Self-harm may indicate that: (1) you lack effective problem-solving skills and or; (2) you are unhappy with your life. Happy people don’t engage in self-harm. It simply doesn’t cross their minds.

The path to self-harm is precipitated by strong emotions. People who engage in self-harm might do so because they don’t possess good coping skills. They’re searching for a release. Perhaps the physical sensation that accompanies self-harm provides them with some relief but it’s short-lived. It will always make the situation worse.

Have you explored why you continually find yourself experiencing strong emotions? We all occasionally experience strong emotions but it should not be an everyday occurrence. Our mood can be impacted by lack of sleep, medication, hormones, among other things but day-to-day, it should be stable. If your emotions were more stable, you might feel less driven to engage in self-harm.

Self-harm is often the result of self-directed blame and anger. If you’re willing to hurt yourself, then you must believe that you deserve pain and suffering. You don’t; no one does.

Many people who engage in self-harm also report feeling unworthy and lacking self-esteem. That type of self-defeating thinking is often irrational and illogical.

You have a history of seeking help. That’s promising. It shows that you are open to treatment. My advice is to consult a therapist. Medication might also be helpful but you will need to review that decision with your treating professionals.

You don’t have to suffer. Help is available. All you have to do is decide to seek help. I hope you will make the right choice. Please take care.

Self Harm/Maybe Bipolar?