Home » I Want to Be Popular But I’m an Introvert

I Want to Be Popular But I’m an Introvert

I am 21 years old and like to hang out with friends. I want to be popular among my friends and teachers. I like to do stage performance and presentations. But unfortunately I am introvert type and lack of self-confidence. I want to answer all the question my teacher asks but hesitate to do it. Even my relationship with my boyfriend has some effect. Because he is extrovert and popular among his friends. So I kind of jealous of him. How can I be extrovert and increase my confidence level? I want to be a better person. (age 21, from Bangladesh)

A.

It is difficult to change something that is a personality trait, such as introversion versus extroversion, but you can learn to be more confident and outgoing. Just like any other skill it takes practice. It sounds like you are comfortable in larger settings when it is less personal, such as performances and presentations, but you need to build confidence in areas that are more intimate and personal.

The best way to feel comfortable around others is to truly just be yourself. Take your focus off what others might think of you and be in the moment. Be genuine and kind. Ask questions and really listen to what people have to say so that you can weave it back into future conversations, which shows you care. Look for ways to expand your interactions and comfort zones through extra-curricular activities, volunteering or joining a social skills group. Take more chances by speaking up in class, even if you aren’t sure of the answer. But again, most importantly, just be yourself and you will be popular to those who really matter.