Home » Alcohol-Induced Psychosis, DID or Alcohol Idiosyncratic Intoxication?

Alcohol-Induced Psychosis, DID or Alcohol Idiosyncratic Intoxication?

Hello,

I am writing here today in efforts to get some guidance and insight into my girlfriend’s undiagnosed condition as I will explain below:

My background is a bachelors degree in psychology and with my current experience can identify brief periods of psychosis while intoxicated, I’m really not qualified or know much, that is why I am looking for professional guidance as I know how serious untreated mental illness can become!

I have only be present for two or three of her episodes but they have happened as frequent as once a month stemming from two years ago but have also decreased in occurrence as she hasn’t been drinking as much. She drank heavily in University as much as 4-5 times a week. Here is what happened her last episode:

Her and I were engaging in some drinks when Her mood suddenly change drastically, She would go through a set of very dramatic mood swings about every 5 minutes like so 1. She started becoming very upset and mean saying ive never loved her get away from me, and just being very rude and angry, 2. she would become very loving and sexually aroused trying to kiss me and being turned on 3. she would get this blank stare on her face and become extremely confused and have an episode on amnesia,she would profusely say I don’t know who you are, you don’t know me which would then lead into her becoming angry and start the cycle or changes again. Also as she is going through theses changes she does seem very coherent not slurring words. Once the state of amnesia kicks in she seems to forget the entire time before which leads to her becoming very agitated. This time she even lost consciousness briefly which last about 3 minutes then woke up still in the agitated state she was before.

The next morning I had a discussion with her about what had happened and bring to her attention something is wrong. She has been aware about these episodes have happened before and just never knew what to do about it and tried to just attribute it to being drunk. She does not remember what she does in these states.

Looking for any information as I am very concerned something could happen to her, treatment, how to handle her if it happens, etc!! Thank You!

A.

The alcohol might be causing her symptoms, but it’s impossible to know that while she is actively drinking. In order to identify the source of the problem, she would need to stop drinking and undergo a mental health evaluation.

Encourage her to check into an inpatient rehabilitation center. Once she is more stable, they will be in the best position to review her symptoms and determine the source of the problem.

It’s dangerous for her to continue drinking. The fact that she loses consciousness is concerning. She should not be drinking but if she does and her symptoms reappear, take her to a hospital. Her becoming psychotic and losing consciousness are potential emergencies. Don’t attempt to treat her on your own. Professional help is her safest and best option. Please take care.