Home » Ask the Therapist » I Procrastinate, Talk to Myself & Not Other People, Smoke Lots of Cigarettes

I Procrastinate, Talk to Myself & Not Other People, Smoke Lots of Cigarettes

For a long time now I have been procrastinating about everything such as chores around the house, things I think I might want to do with my time. I spend a lot of time talking to myself when I am off of work and avoiding people.

All my days seem like they’re dragging on. I smoke almost two packs of cigarettes a day. I am constantly bombarded by negative self defeating thoughts that never seem to go away, especially at night when i’m trying to sleep. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for years now at the veterans affairs. I have been on a few different medicines over the years and I guess they have been keeping me stable as I have held down my job for over ten years now.

I know I have anxiety and social anxiety along with another diagnosis called schizotypal personality disorder. I have tried many things to help cope with anxiety, such as belly breathing, meditation, stretching, and prayer. These things help sometimes but most of the time they don’t. I guess my question for the therapist is how do I get rid of these negative thoughts or turn them down a little.

This is a problem I have had since I was very young.

A.

It seems that you are taking multiple medications but are still experiencing symptoms. Have you reported this to your prescribing physician? If not, you should. He or she needs feedback about whether or not your medicine is working.

Medication has been prescribed but what about counseling? Counseling might be what’s missing from your treatment. Counseling is an essential element in the treatment of many mental health disorders.

You might benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT involves identifying distorted beliefs, analyzing faulty assumptions and correcting thinking errors. Negative thoughts can lead to maladaptive behaviors.

Ask your psychiatrist for a referral to a therapist. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has many mental health treatment programs. There should be many mental health experts with whom you can meet and who specialize in CBT and other evidence-based treatment approaches.

For many people, negative thinking becomes a habit that can be difficult to break. It becomes second nature. Try to focus on the truth. The truth will help to combat your negative thinking.

When a negative thought occurs, ask yourself the following questions: Where’s the evidence? Am I the only one who thinks this? What would other people say? Those are just a few questions that will help you discern the truth.

Finally, you might find this article helpful. It addresses constant worry and how to “turn your brain off.” It contains some good advice. Please take care.