Home » Disorders » Sleep » Insomnia Is Interfering with Life

Insomnia Is Interfering with Life

From the U.S.: I am currently on my second medical leave due to worsening insomnia. I have always struggled with depression, but my depression has only worsened now that I am unable to function at work due to sleep loss. I feel therapists and psychiatrists always want to treat the depression and don’t know how to help with my sleep other than medication. I have read everything on sleep schedules, sleep hygiene, exercise, and now my parents want me to go to an inpatient psychiatric ward. The only solution I see there is constant structure and collaboration of care. I have seen sleep specialists and medications haven’t helped me. I will be out for 4 hours and wake up completely exhausted. Just looking for advice as to best next step so I can function. I just received a genetic test from a psychiatrist to check for which medications I would respond to.

This has affected so much. I used to be a medical assistant but the insomnia kept me from functioning as one. I was first on ambien, then seroquel, and now Restoril…The ambien worked for a couple years, the seroquel a couple more, and now I am rested on neither one. Just looking for help.

Insomnia Is Interfering with Life

A.

I’m concerned that you didn’t mention a complete medical work up. The insomnia is a symptom. It is not a disease. You are not sleeping because something is very wrong. Yes, it might be depression. But it’s also likely that a medical condition is a contributing factor. Please, if you haven’t already, make an appointment with your doctor and ask for a complete battery of tests. Request referrals to an endocrinologist and neurologist as well.

If you are physically fine, then ask for a sleep study. One possible explanation for your lack of sleep is sleep apnea. That is a treatable condition.

The medications you are taking could possibly be making the situation worse. Do ask you doctor if you could be experiencing a rebound effect from withdrawing the ambien. Also ask about side effects of the other medications. A side effect of both Restoril and Seroquel, for example, is daytime drowsiness or tiredness.

Please don’t give up on finding an answer and finding a cure. You need to be an active member of your treatment team. Insist on getting the tests and support you need to get to the bottom of this.

Insomnia Is Interfering with Life