Home » Ask the Therapist » Dating Someone Who Is Depressed

Dating Someone Who Is Depressed

My girlfriend and I have been together for a year now. I’ve struggled with mild depression before but she struggles with ongoing symptoms of chronic depression as well as mild OCD symptoms and anxiety. I found out about her struggles early on in the relationship and I found out that she had no emotional/nurturing relationship with her mom and had no one to reach out to at home about her issues. She turned to cutting while she was in high school and discovered other harming techniques at a young age. Being with me seemed to be helping her deal wife her home life and other stresses in life. But as we got closer to our year anniversary, she was getting more and more stressed out and her depression started getting worse. We started arguing often, many times over small, insignificant things and usually a misunderstanding, misinterpretation of things said etc. I didn’t realize that it could possibly be her depression but when I did, I put way too much attention on that, instead of focusing on just helping her cope. A few days after our one year, she tried to end things. She was having really bad thoughts and told me that she feels empty. She said she’s falling out of love with me but later said that she was only focusing on the bad and forgot about the good things in the moment. She says her mind has all of these negative and bad thoughts and half of her wants to be with me but the other half wants to give up on everything. She talked about taking a break as well. I love her and I know that she loves me but I feel like she is trying to push me away so that she won’t hurt me the way she is convinced she is. I think that she wants to be alone so no one else gets hurt by her behavior and there will be much less to fight for. I don’t want her to give up but I also don’t want to just be there as added pressure and stress. Although, she and I have decided to stick together through this rough time, I feel sad and scared. How can I help her without being too strong and making things worse? How can I deal with her emptiness and emotional distance? Help!!!

Dating Someone Who Is Depressed

A.

If your girlfriend hasn’t responded to your love then I think it is time to change your direction and offer to help her find professional help. I would certainly encourage her to go, and you can offer to go with her for support. But this isn’t something you are going to be able to handle on your own — or cope well with if you keep trying to fix her emotional distance. The chronic nature of her depression and the fact that she feels empty in spite of your efforts is very telling. This is hers to deal with. Your job is to support her efforts but not being the the one to try and make her correction.

Dating Someone Who Is Depressed