Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me, I Think I Am Going Insane

I Don’t Know What Is Wrong With Me, I Think I Am Going Insane

I am desperately seeking help because I feel something wrong with me but don’t know exactly what it is. I am always anxious and my emotions are so disturbed to the point of not feeling what I want to do the next moment. Just this thought can make me panic and I had a severe panic attack before. I think I am unable to work or to resume my life. My doctor thinks that i shall work no matter what despite how many times i told him i am unable to work because my emotions are so disturbed. He gave me “Arpiprazole 15mg” once a day. I don’t know what is going on in my head, i feel nothing but anxiousness, i have no different moods or emotions and my mind is busy and empty at the same time. I don’t know if i want to eat or to sleep or work and at the end i do nothing. If i don’t have any idea how i feel, how can i lead a life then!! Please help me figure out what’s wrong with me and if my doctor is right pushing me to work?

A.

I can’t establish a diagnosis based upon a short letter. You will need to be evaluated by a mental health professional, in-person, who can determine a diagnosis.

You mentioned panic and anxiety. Your symptoms might be indicative of an anxiety disorder. Anxiety, without treatment, often becomes worse over time.

Your doctor is pushing you to work and he might be right. He might believe that if you quit your job, you are in essence giving in to your symptoms. By forcing yourself to work, you are maintaining some level of functioning. It might also serve to keep your mind occupied and less focused on your emotional problems.

Your doctor prescribed medication but are you taking it? If so and if it’s not working, report this to your doctor. With your feedback, he can make the necessary adjustments. The right medication and dosage might reduce your symptoms.

You should also begin counseling. It can teach you important life skills for gaining control over your anxiety. Certain types of therapy are quite effective for anxiety. Choose a therapist who specializes in treating anxiety disorders.

Anxiety is highly treatable. With counseling and the right medication, you should expect symptom relief. Please take care.