Home » Ask the Therapist » Potential Surfacing Mental Disorder

Potential Surfacing Mental Disorder

I am a college student who has just completed his freshman year, and will be continuing my education as a permanent on-campus resident. Since my junior year of high school, I have been experiencing something that is hard to sum up in simple words, so I will do my best to describe my symptoms. As far as the memory can stretch back, I have always had difficulty remaining positive and maintaining focus. I am forgetful and often lose track of conversations that I participate in. Lately, my issues have evolved. My sleeping and eating patterns have changed, I am increasingly irritated and angry, and I am begininng to make poor life choices as well. I also feel generally depressed by the state of the world, often finding myself lost in thoughts that seem to be existential in nature, but more relative to my surroundings rather than myself. My self-esteem is either very low, or about that of a normal individual. I have begun to experience periods of blinding aggravation and anger, as a result, I am lashing out at those around me. I have never been like this before and I am beginning to feel as though I have some form of mental disorder that is beginning to surface, or at the very least, it is becoming more announced. My childhood seems to be what is on my mind the most these days, that and well, my current state. I come from a background of poverty. I was raised by a single mother who has done her best despite her faults. For a period of six years me and my sibling experienced domestic abuse from her previous boyfriend, ages 8 to 13. The circumstances of my childhood have begin to harbor on my as I grow older, straining my relationship with my mother. I experienced no physical or sexual abuse. I am aware that my paragraph jumps from various topics, but I tried to coordinate this vast array of issues in the best way I could, please bear with me. I thank you for your time and I hope that I have been understandable.

Thank You. Good Day.

Potential Surfacing Mental Disorder

A.

Thank you for your email. The college you are in will have counseling for students. I recommend you talk to them about these symptoms and insights about your family. This will allow you to have some ongoing therapy as you move forward with your studies.

I would also recommend a thorough medical exam. A number of the symptoms mentioned can happen for a variety of reasons. As a precaution you may also want to ask the physician about testing your vitamin D levels as low levels can cause emotional reactions related to depression.

Potential Surfacing Mental Disorder