Home » Ask the Therapist » I Want to Hurt My Aunt

I Want to Hurt My Aunt

Sometimes when my aunt tells me I’m a good for nothing and lots of other hurtful things, I feel like I want to hurt her, like punch her and kick her and stuff like that. I would never act on that thought because I know is not okay, but I just can help feeling that anger. She hates me because when I was 11 her husband wanted to be my boyfriend and I told my older cousin about it and he kicked him out of the house and he got in a fight with my aunt because of me. I got sad because I didn’t wanted them to fight. Am I bad person for wanting to hurt her? I really don’t want to feel this way what can I do???

I Want to Hurt My Aunt

A.

It’s understandable that you would have strong feelings about someone who’s saying hurtful things to you. Many people would feel the same way you do.

It’s good that you know right from wrong. There are no laws against thinking bad things, but there are laws against hurting people. If you were to physically assault your aunt, you could be arrested.

She may be saying these things to you because of the incident with her husband. According to your letter, her husband is the one who is at fault. He should’ve never tried to make a teenager his girlfriend. In fact, had it been reported to the authorities, he might have been arrested and charged with a sex crime.

The best thing you can do is stay away from your aunt. When she says something hurtful, leave the room, listen to music on your earphones and do whatever you can to not be in her presence. It might be difficult but do your best. Your strong feelings will eventually dissipate.

Finally, you should also tell your parents about what your aunt says to you. If they won’t help, tell the school guidance counselor who could remedy this problem. Please take care.

I Want to Hurt My Aunt