Home » My Friend Is Pulling Her Hair Out

My Friend Is Pulling Her Hair Out

From Norway: My friend is pulling out her hair. She thinks that it is something called trichotollomania but isn’t sure. She also has some ticks where she makes a little guinea pig noise and twitches her neck. She is almost bald now and she is a really close friend of mine and I don’t know what to do.

I see how she struggles and it really hurts me because I don’t want to be a bad friend, but I don’t want her to get more upset than she already is by doing or saying something dumb. She is also slightly going into her depression again. How can I make my friend feel loved and don’t make her feel alone? How can I help her with her problems? I don’t have those things so it’s really hard for me to help because I can’t relate to her. I hope you can come with some tips for me.

My Friend Is Pulling Her Hair Out

A.

Your friend is probably right that she has trichotillomania. That, plus the other behaviors you described, suggest that she is suffering from an anxiety disorder. She needs some professional help. There are medications that can help her manage her feelings. Talk therapy will teach her the coping skills she needs to be more comfortable in the world.

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about programs in Norway to offer you specific direction. As her friend, you can encourage her to talk to her parents about her need to see a professional. If your school has a counselor on staff, encourage her to make an appointment there as well. Then just be her friend. Try to get her out of the house and doing some things that are fun. When she does see a counselor, support her in trying out what she learns. Your love and caring are important ingredients in helping her get better.

I wish you both well.

My Friend Is Pulling Her Hair Out