Home » Ask the Therapist » How Will I Know When to Go Inpatient with BPD?

How Will I Know When to Go Inpatient with BPD?

I have been struggling the past few years and it’s getting much worse. I ended up at a hospital for an interrupted attempt at suicide and since then the feelings haven’t left. I feel numb all of the time and I see a counselor but they can’t schedule me in except for maybe once a month. I was going to start with some partial hospitalization facility but my insurance only covers inpatient or outpatient, not in between apparently.

I’m terrified to go full inpatient but I’m also terrified of what might happen if I don’t. But I don’t know when is the right time. I never know when the bad feelings are bad enough to warrant inpatient.

I live in Mesa, Arizona, and there are not many options near me, so I would have to go into town to receive any kind of help. Do you have any ideas on when the right time might be?

A.

I appreciate your struggle and believe you should take advantage of the inpatient opportunity. There are three reasons that make it a good choice. First, they will only take you if you are right for the program — so if it is something you need they will tell you. Second, they are likely to have dealt with people exactly in your situation — and if you do go in they may be able to help you the fastest. Finally, most good inpatient programs can help find you appropriate aftercare once their work together with you is complete even with insurance restrictions.