Home » Anxiety » Too Young for Health Anxieties

Too Young for Health Anxieties

I’m way too young for this. I have very bad anxieties about my health. I feel so guilty, making my parents take me to who knows how many specialists, MRI’s, ETC. Every day I worry I have something. With that comes the feeling of terror, the all-too-real pain, and screaming at everyone to call an ambulance. I’m too young to have to deal with this stuff. I’m constantly twitching and shaking, unless you take my mind off of it. For everything I worry that I have, I feel the physical symptoms of them, along with horrible chest pains. Sometimes I have my mother sleep with me just in case I die in my sleep (I don’t want to die alone) I cannot even describe how I feel. I lose all basic judgment, and even though I know how ridiculous I’m being, I cannot control it. My hand is constantly on my pulse and if it goes up past 79 BPM, I’m ready to call 911. I feel like I want to throw up. I can go on about what happens, but it’s too much to write down.

I’m constantly in pain. I’m almost constantly in a state of worry. Panic attacks are daily right now. I need help, but I’m young and no one takes me seriously. This is getting in the way of my life. My grades have dropped. I can’t enjoy myself. And no one wants to help me. I just want to know how to overcome this.

Too Young for Health Anxieties

A.

I am so sorry you are feeling all this. It sounds overwhelming, and I appreciate you writing us.

Your age, 14, and the wide range of symptoms suggest that there may be another trigger other than your physical well-being. My suggestion is to have your parents make an appointment with a child psychologist who could do an interview and some testing. Often, these physical concerns are triggered by events that caused a great deal of stress.

In preparation for your visit you may want to think about when these symptoms and you’re your worries began. This can help the psychologist explore the reasons for your anxiety.

Too Young for Health Anxieties