Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Should I Tell about Friend’s Eating Disorder?

Should I Tell about Friend’s Eating Disorder?

From the U.S: I recently because aware that my friend (who is 17) has an eating disorder, where they often cause themselves to throw up. I was wondering how much information I can share about their issue, and how they can seek help, with my therapist without them being required to tell my friends parents immediately. I understand the need for their parents to know, I just want to know what I can share without my therapist being required to tell my friends parents, or my parents, about their issue. I just want to get the options for them and let them know what their options are for getting their own help, because I think they’re willing and I don’t want their parents to have to drag them into getting help, they’re willing to get it themselves. Thanks!

A.

Your friend is very lucky to have a friend like you. An eating disorder is a serious issue. She or he does need help. Because you are friends, she or he may listen to you, especially since you sense that your friend is already willing to get help.

I’m glad you have a therapist who can help you. You could present the therapist with a hypothetical situation and ask what resources are available in your area. You are not obliged to give a name. Your therapist will help you figure out who and how to tell and will help you weigh the pros and cons of doing so.