Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know What I Have Become and Don’t Understand Myself

I Don’t Know What I Have Become and Don’t Understand Myself

Hello, I’ll get straight to the point. I am obsessed with video games, internet and tv-shows and tv-sports. From the past couple of years, I feel I have lost my sense of emotion but, I entered a relationship a year ago. I dumped her 3 months ago, as I found her cheating on me. Now, I don’t have any, literally, any desires, needs or wants. I can’t seem to focus on things. My relationship brings me back some tough moments or makes me think how stupid I was. I start getting emotional when I think like that,so I tend to not think about. My friends have been great to support me. I dont understand myself neither my emotions nor my decisions. I have thought couple of times about ending my life but I am very lazy. These days, since I’m very lazy, I procrastinate and waste time a lot, and my mother is very much annoyed by me. Her reactions to my little mistakes make me very angry. Now, anyone who tries to morally correct me, I seem to get a grudge against them. I know its important to let go and move on, but I just cant seem to do anything properly. I have big ambitions but I’m uncertain that I’ll live up to them. My emotions swing drastically. I get annoyed super easily. I thought, I’d need some help, thus, I have come here. (age 15, from India)

A.

I’m sorry that you are going through this difficult time in life, but I am hopeful that you will pull through it and find new things to be joyful about. You are at a difficult age when your body, your friends, your emotions and your interests can all change dramatically. Have patience with yourself and with others during this time.

As popular as electronic stimulation is these days (video games, internet, social media, and tv) they can be somewhat addictive, and most importantly, take us away from real relationships in real time. Limit time spent on these activities and force yourself to be with friends and family. Get involved in activities that require physical movement or that help give you a sense of purpose. And I’m sorry that your girlfriend cheated on you, but you can heal from that and find someone else special to care about.

Finally, if you do these things and don’t begin feeling better soon, it may be time to speak to a mental health professional to help you pull out of this slump.