Home » PTSD » I Have PTSD — But Never Like This

I Have PTSD — But Never Like This

I have PTSD, have been in a few abusive relationships, have over come them all and have always been fine. This last one, about 5 months ago, he got me pregnant, he was abusive but one day he went to the extreme and almost killed me after I found out we were pregnant… this was all in front of my first son. I believe it’s because it was in front of my son that it’s affecting me so bad, but I have never been this clueless as to what to do to overcome this. I am now 6 months pregnant, lately (past 3 or more weeks) every time I lay down to sleep or am calm, the memory and flashbacks hit me hard, and all I think about is how my son saw it Even after my 10 hour graveyard shift sometime I lay awake in bed for hours. Sometimes crying, sometimes wanting to scream, nothing I do gets my mind off of it. No matter what i try to think about or do. Also my dreams lately have been very traumatizing, murders, blood, suicide, everything bad… started around the same time these flashbacks started happening. I have always dealt with my stress, or trauma. It’s never affected me like this… I wake up legitimately fearful from my dreams, or I just can not sleep, when the flashbacks happen NOTHING gets my mind off them… I can’t concentrate… what should I do? What does this sound like? Help me please? :(

I Have PTSD — But Never Like This

A.

I am so very glad you contacted us here. I agree with you. Something about this horrific encounter has intensified the symptoms. My best guess is that the bed and bedroom have also become unsafe triggers.

I would highly recommend EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) for treatment. This method of treatment has been shown to be effective for many. It has the promise of relatively rapid relief and the chances are good that the practitioner. Here is a link to people qualified to conduct this type of treatment.

As you begin to manage the symptoms I would then look for a therapist to unravel the reasons you were choosing abusive men. The ‘find help’ tab at the top of this page can help you locate someone in your area.

I Have PTSD — But Never Like This