Home » Parenting » How Do I Tell My Parents I Failed?

How Do I Tell My Parents I Failed?

From 14 year old girl in Dubai: I failed math this term, and I don’t know how to show that mark to my parents.

How Do I Tell My Parents I Failed?

A.

Generally, the best thing to do is to tell them as soon as possible. If you wait, they will be angry with you for the grade and for the delay. Why give them an additional reason to be angry?

Having said that, there may be a way to soften the news: Talk to your teacher about why you failed. Develop a plan for improving your grade. If your parents see that you are already making an effort, they may respect you for it.

Then be sure you follow through. Don’t wait until you are failing to look for help. As soon as you don’t understand something, make an appointment with the teacher. With honest effort, I have every reason to believe that you can pass.

How Do I Tell My Parents I Failed?