Home » Parenting » I Like a Boy Whose Family Doesn’t Like Me

I Like a Boy Whose Family Doesn’t Like Me

From the UK: Here is my story. I like a boy who have a strange relationship with his guardian. He lives with her and some other people. We went together a couple of times but I guess no one from his house likes that. He’s trying to not disappoint them nor me, but in the end he is the one who suffers. The worst part is that we all work together at one place so we must see each other. I’m considering about finding a new job but will this be enough to fix our problems. The most important thing for me now is he to be happy, but I can’t find the solution. He’s family is disappointed of him for being with me.

A.

If the family doesn’t support a relationship, it’s very difficult for someone to sustain it. You didn’t mention just why his family doesn’t want you to go out. Do they think it is inappropriate since you work together or is it more personal? Perhaps if you understood their thinking, you could address the problems together.

I doubt very much that leaving your job will fix the situation. This is a problem you can’t resolve on your own. Your guy needs to take the lead. I understand that since he lives with his family, he may hesitate to displease them. But it is up to him to decide whether his relationship with you is worth it.

You are in your twenties. At some point, you both will need to decide whether it is worth the risk of disappointing family in order to make your own choices.