Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Get Close to Anyone

I Can’t Get Close to Anyone

I can’t get close to anyone, I can’t feel, I can’t make friends or i just don’t want to, i feel the need to be alone. I’m not shy at all, I’m a very confident person I can talk to anyone in fact I don’t even hesitate to talk with strangers at all. and yes I’m a good person at heart i’m not selfish yet I can’t get close to anyone sometimes I feel like there’s an invisible wall around me that I can’t let anyone close. mostly people like me they are inspired by me they want to get close but each time I just push them away even sometimes when I really like them, but I don’t feel. What’s wrong with me?

I Can’t Get Close to Anyone

A.

I appreciate you sharing your problems with intimacy with us here at Psych Central. It seems as if this reaction has been part of your personality make-up for a long time. I have three suggestions, and depending on where you think you could jump in, you can take advantage of one, two — or all of them.

First, I would find the therapist trained in cognitive behavioral therapy, CBT. This form of therapy — when done individually — can be very effective in helping you learn how to challenge your thinking. Anticipating your own reactions, combined with the consequences, have developed a thinking pattern. A CBT trained therapist can help you undo this.

The second recommendation I have is to immerse yourself in a class where you’re learning something new you’re interested in. Learning something new — with new people gives you the advantage of interacting and connecting, but all under the umbrella of developing a new skill. This can be a way for you to meet new people in a safe environment with a common goal. This often helps.

Finally, the most direct way to deal with this is in group therapy. It might take you a while to find a group therapist, but a group does two things simultaneously. First is a direct challenge to your inhibition, and secondly the group can support and help your transformation.

I Can’t Get Close to Anyone