Home » Disorders » Depression » Depression Over Injury

Depression Over Injury

Injured my ankle 9 weeks ago and it was misdiagnosed as a sprain. They recently found that it was a fracture and now I have another 8 weeks to go without walking. My not being able to walk has gotten me severely depressed and has caused issues with work and my marriage and overall joy for the day. I have trouble sleeping and wake up constantly with regrets. What should I do? My general doctor said I could try Lexapro? Is that safe to take without the advice on a psychiatrist? I just want to know where to go and what steps to take. I feel like I’ve ruined my life.

Depression Over Injury

A.

It’s very common for general practitioners (also known as primary care physicians (PCPs) to prescribe psychotropic medications. In fact, a 2009 study published in the peer-reviewed journal Psychiatric Services, determined that 59% of all psychotropic prescriptions were written by general practitioners.

While PCPs prescribing psychotropic medications is the norm, it’s problematic. PCPs don’t have the expertise that psychiatrists have regarding medication. They also don’t have time to obtain a thorough mental health history. Ideally, it’s wise to consult a psychiatrist if medication is going to be considered.

Medication might be somewhat helpful, but it cannot adequately address the heart of the matter: you are depressed about being immobile and stuck at home. While you can’t change your circumstances, you can change your attitude about your circumstances. Counseling can help put your situation into perspective. Your injury is temporary. It takes time to heal. You will get better and you will return to your “walking life” in the very near future. Patience is key. Please take care.

Depression Over Injury