Home » Ask the Therapist » I Think I’m a Sociopath

I Think I’m a Sociopath

I’m 15 years old, I’m not sure though. I have felt very souless to others, I felt no sympthy or empthy what’s so ever. I alway’s thought of terrible things to some people. I lie, only at times that I don’t have the time to explain. I lie at times that I just have to get at what I want. I done manipulation to others. I need help, but I don’t think my mother knows either, I have also been mute everytime I’m at school or just dont’ want to say anything that may upset my mother. I need advice or anything that can maybe help me, not do any of these things agian or ever. Please, I need the advice. I also have awared that people have asked this, but still help would be nice.

I Think I’m a Sociopath

A.

You mentioned not wanting to upset your mother but you didn’t say why. Though maladaptive, your emotional numbness may be your response to distressing life circumstances. Maybe you have become emotionally numb, in order to endure whatever chaos is going on in your life.

Remember, there are many, many trained professionals who have devoted their lives to helping people with the types of problems you are experiencing. What you are experiencing is not new to them, or unusual but exactly what they have been trained to help cure. You don’t understand your problem because you haven’t spent years in graduate school. They have and they are ready and willing to help you.

It’s good that you want help but you can’t be helped if you keep this problem a secret. Something is causing you to feel the way you do and it’s important to explore what it might be. My recommendation is that you speak to your school guidance counselor. If you’re not comfortable speaking, then write the guidance counselor a letter about what’s wrong. Ask for his or her help.

It’s important that you ask for help. Whenever something is wrong you should always ask for help. That is a good rule to follow. Good luck. Please take care.

I Think I’m a Sociopath