Home » Ask the Therapist » He’s Always on My Mind

He’s Always on My Mind

From Bangladesh: I got involved with someone months back, but then he left me. I tried getting him back but got to know he’s already dating someone else. I’m in depression for the last 7 months. I can’t live my life and I lost all interest from my life. He is always on mind as if stuck in my brain. I can’t think about anything and it’s driving me insane. I also can’t stand any girl which is scary. No matter whatever I do I can’t stop thinking about him. It gets very exhausting.

He’s Always on My Mind

A.

One way to figure out what is behind such obsessions is to ask this: What if, magically, unexpectedly, the problem went away? What would you think about then?

I suspect the answer has something to do with either fear of looking for love or fear that you won’t find someone to love. The obsession with this very brief relationship keeps you stuck. Unconsciously, you may have decided that being exhausted and depressed is better than trying again and risking another disappointment.

I do understand. The process of finding a partner is often difficult. Almost everyone feels vulnerable and scared when they decide to open their heart to someone new. But I do know this: 7 months is far too long to be stuck and exhausted. It’s time to get the help you need to come to closure about that relationship and move on.

If you could do that by yourself, you would have done so already. For that reason, I hope you will consider making an appointment with a therapist. A few sessions of encouragement and support may be all you need to begin to lift the depression and to find the energy you need to once again search for the right man for you.

He’s Always on My Mind