Home » Parenting » Help for My Teenage Brother

Help for My Teenage Brother

My brother is 18 years old, has no interest in studies and is trapped in company of bad people. He became disobedient of my parents and steals money and other things from home.

We are feeling so helpless to tackle this issue. Even my parents never deal with him with strictness, rather they are still polite with him when he disobeys. We are trying our best to compromise with him but the situation is getting worse day by day.

I need your opinion on this issue. Please guide us in how should we deal with him, my parents will never be strict with him as they love him a lot. (From Pakistan)

Help for My Teenage Brother

A.

There are different ways to love a child. What we know from all the research is that love and limits go together. It isn’t a matter of being strict — it is a matter of helping your brother develop self-control and respect. Your parents not helping him develop these essential skills is doing him a disservice — they are actually making things worse by not having more guidelines and consequences.

Your family needs some outside help. I would talk to people in your medical community to see if they can guide you to a therapist or clergy who may be able to help your family learn the proper way to deal with your brother. If he is 18 and living at home then clear strategies about penalties for his behavior — and the family rallying together to support these changes — would be important.

Help for My Teenage Brother