Home » Parenting » I Upset My Parents

I Upset My Parents

Hi. I recently had an argument with my parents, and I was very upset, so I decided to text a friend about it. Needless to say, I vented. The friend I texted doesn’t really have a good reputation with my parents, and they really don’t trust her. So tonight, my mother asked to see my phone, so I gave it to her, and she changed the setting like she said she was going to, but then she decided to start reading through my text messages between me and my friend. She found where I vented, and read it all aloud to my father, therefore not only making me feel ashamed, but also humiliated. Now I’m not only on bad terms with my parents, but I’ve also hurt my mother’s feelings, and both of them are giving me the “silent treatment”. I don’t know how to handle this situation, and I’d be very grateful for any advice or guidance I can get.

I Upset My Parents

A.

I’m sorry you’re having this trouble with your parents. I would ask to speak to them directly about your venting. I would let them know that you need a safe place to talk about the things that bother you, and that your phone should be your safe place to do that.

Explain that it helps, and that you’re sorry they are hurt, but talking about things with your friends or writing things in a journal, or venting on the phone is the way that you can take care of yourself when you feel upset at home.

Invite them to talk with you about how this venting process can continue for you. Just because they are upset doesn’t mean you have to stop taking care of yourself.

I Upset My Parents