Home » I Can’t Control What Happens in My Head

I Can’t Control What Happens in My Head

I’ve self harmed for quite a while, haven’t been diagnosed with any disorders but I really need your help. I don’t feel like it’s just me in my head? There’s so many people in here and they all shout things at me and make me feel worthless, they tell me to do things and if I don’t do then I’ll die. My mood is really low all the time and I spend almost all of my time in my room on my own crying. I can never sleep and when I finally manage to fall asleep I can’t stay asleep, but I’m not waking up because I need a drink or need to go to th bathroom I just wake up? I’m falling asleep in school because of it! I’ve been told by many teachers that they are concerned about me but nothing has been done. I’m so scared but I can’t talk to a doctor because I’m too scared, please help me I can’t cope like this. (age 15, from United Kingdom)

I Can’t Control What Happens in My Head

A.

I’m sorry that things have been so difficult for you. Feeling this way is not normal and you need to get professional help. I know speaking with a doctor may seem scary, but not as scary as living the way you are now.

Please speak to your parents, your teachers, your school counselor or your doctor about seeing a mental health professional soon.  You don’t have to live like this. It can get better. Writing in with your concerns was your first step, now it’s time to take the next one and see someone in person. You can print out your question and my response to help you explain to the doctor what is going on.

All the best

I Can’t Control What Happens in My Head