Home » How to Cope with My Issues?

How to Cope with My Issues?

Hi, I took multiple online test for anxiety, depression, and bipolar. The anxiety came out extremely high, and I already know I have crazy anxiety issues. The depression came out high, so as the bipolar. I am also suicidal. The only friend I have is my dad so he is the only person I can see if he can get me a therapist. I have no other family. But the issue is, he jokes around a TON. And he is the only person I can go to. I am scared if I tell him about it, he will think I am crazy. About 4 months ago I broke down crying in bed and couldn’t speak a word, besides “Ifv.. cnt…….. spk”. He just thought I was being silly. So, how can I cope with my issues without therapy? Currently, I have been just cutting my thighs up, a place where no one can see. Thanks!

How to Cope with My Issues?

A.

Having “issues” doesn’t make you “crazy.” It makes you human. Everyone has “issues,” some more than others. What’s most important is developing effective coping skills to deal with life problems. If you don’t learn those skills from your parents or mentors, then a therapist can help.

Go to your father and ask if the two of you can have a serious conversation. Tell him what’s wrong and ask for his help in finding a therapist. If he makes light of the situation, then show him your thigh wounds. Your father might like to joke, but I don’t think he’d laugh at your self-inflicted injuries. That’s one way to show him that you are serious about needing professional help.

Another option is to talk to your school counselor. They are professionally trained human relations specialists. They help students deal with social problems and problems at home, among other things. Tell the school counselor what’s wrong and ask for his or her help. They can refer you to local mental health services.

In the meantime, try to avoid engaging in self-harm. Punishing yourself doesn’t help. It might make you feel better temporarily, but it’s an illusion. Try journaling, exercise, talking to a friend, playing with a pet, volunteering or anything else that takes your mind off your negative mood. Those suggestions are not replacements for professional mental health treatment but they might stabilize your mood until counseling begins. Please take care.

How to Cope with My Issues?