Home » Was I Wrong?

Was I Wrong?

My daughter (9 yr old) was out playing with her friends a block away from our house. It turned 6.30 pm. I went to get her but her friends said she wasn’t with them. I looked for her in the neighborhood for another 30 mins and couldn’t find her. It was getting dark so I panicked and called the police. In the meantime my husband was also looking for her. He found her and brought her back home. Now he is so mad at me for calling the police. I don’t think I did anything wrong. I don’t understand his mindset. What if he hadn’t found her when he did? Like why is he making me feel like I did something bad by calling the police? Was I wrong to call them?

Was I Wrong?

A.

Any parent would panic in that situation — but I think the larger issue here is the communication process and expectations from each other. Use the experience as an opportunity to discuss what could have been done differently. This type of discussion is essential — otherwise you can expect a repeating problem. Also take to time to savor the fact your daughter was okay and to have gratitude.

Was I Wrong?