Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Manage BPD without Therapy

How Do I Manage BPD without Therapy

From the U.S.: I have BPD and Im aware of the break up and get back together and the bpd rages and all that. However, I still cant prevent myself from doing this. Even while I am trying hard to think rationally the bpd thing just trumps. At the moment i’m not seeing a therapist but i will once my health insurance application goes through. What can I do in the meantime, to control this, every time i fight with my girlfriend (together about six years) I try to break up with her the past 4 months or so this cycle has intensified.

How Do I Manage BPD without Therapy

A.

The first step to healing is awareness. Please give yourself credit for having come so far. I’m glad you are planning to consult with a therapist as soon as you are able. I urge you to look for a Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) group. DBT is a well-researched and effective approach for dealing with BPD. Check this article to learn more: https://psychcentral.com/lib/an-overview-of-dialectical-behavior-therapy/0001096/2

In the meantime, you can read up on Dialectical Behavior Therapy and start practicing some of the skills. I just did a quick Internet search and found many articles by both professionals and people who are using DBT. There is also a forum here at PsychCentral. (Click on the “Find Help” tab on the home page.) Read. Chat with others and generally give yourself the gift of a “therapeutic time” each day while you wait to get into therapy.

How Do I Manage BPD without Therapy