Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Overeating

Overeating

I don’t know why, but I literally feel like I have to be eating all the time. My body will be extremely full, but my mind is telling me that I am still hungry. I do realize how weird this sounds. When I told my doc, she said this was just an excuse for me to eat what I want. I completely disagree. I often find myself trying to fight the urge to eat, but give in soon after. What is going on with me? (age 20, from US)

Overeating

A.

I think you should get a second opinion, preferably from an endocrinologist or a neurologist. Yes, the issue could be psychological but it certainly could be medical also. It sounds like your doctor didn’t take you seriously. There is a very complex communication system between our gut and our brain and things can go wrong. I suggest getting it checked out further.

However, even if there is a legitimate medical cause, it might be helpful to work with a therapist to learn some techniques to change cues and behaviors.

Overeating