Home » Ask the Therapist » Boyfriend Doesn’t Believe in Me

Boyfriend Doesn’t Believe in Me

When my boyfriend and I started dating, things were wonderful. He accepted me for “me”, was non-judgmental, etc. One day he asked about my past. He had been married for most of his adult life, whereas I have never been married. I proceeded to tell him that I went to clubs from time to time when I was younger. He asked about my sexual past. I was honest and answered truthfully. He then began pulling away…saying I purposefully kept this from him. We broke up and got back together 3 times. Anytime he asks about it, I answer truthfully again. I have nothing to hide. Each time we have gotten back together, it has been better, but not anywhere near where it should be. He still believes I purposefully withheld this information, when in reality, I had never dated anyone that really cared about my past, so I didn’t think to share it. This situation has been a wall between us since we got together. I have done everything I know to do to reassure him and to help reestablish trust. This morning he tells me I haven’t done anything to make him believe in me. I feel like I have been busting my hump (so to speak), but at this point I don’t know what to do. Please help…how can I prove that I was telling the truth those months ago so we can be the couple we are more than capable of being?

Boyfriend Doesn’t Believe in Me

A.

I am sorry you are going through this so often with your boyfriend. My experience has been that this type of response, pulling away because of your partner’s past, is a cover for something else.

Offer to go to couples therapy with him. I highly recommend working together to sort this through. I believe that this is your best effort in keeping the relationship. It can help get to the bottom of it.

But, if he is unwilling to go with you I wouldn’t waste much time trying to convince him. If he can’t see the good person that’s in front of him right now,┬áhe can always use the past to break it off — and you deserve better than that.

Boyfriend Doesn’t Believe in Me