Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Know if I’m Capable of Loving Anything

I Don’t Know if I’m Capable of Loving Anything

Hi! I’m a 20 year old female. I have a boyfriend that I’ve have for 4 years, and some times I’m obsessed with him and other times I couldn’t care less. I’m just so confused and now we’re on a break, but that I made us go on because I want to have sex with other people. I feel horrible about myself for doing this. I’m really not usually like this and it scares me. I mean I’ll meet somebody for the first time and all of the sudden wham — then my ex will text me and I’ll be all lovey with him I feel like a heartless person but this is not me. Is this normal behavior for this disorder?

A.

A; The way to understand this is by appreciating how much distress it is causing you. Rather than label it as normal or abnormal, good or bad, it’s best to see it as behavior that causes you great discomfort.

A struggle with intimacy seems central to your situation. The closer you get—the more you do things to push away. I would highly recommend working in individual therapy on this. It is not likely to sort itself out on it’s own. The find Help tab at the top of the page will locate someone in your area.