Home » How Do I Get Out of Controlling Relationship?

How Do I Get Out of Controlling Relationship?

I feel like I’m in a controlling relationship and I don’t know how to leave without him making a big deal out of it and making me out to be a horrible person. Every time I try to leave, he calls children services and tries to tell everyone I’m bipolar so they’ll be on his side and I wont have any support because they’ll believe him. What do I do and how do I get out?

A.

What you are describing is a type of domestic violence. Your partner is intimidating you with threats of taking your children. Let me assure you: Having a mental health diagnosis generally doesn’t result in children being removed from their mother. There needs to be a pattern of abuse and neglect for that to happen.

You can’t handle this situation alone. Fortunately, there are supportive services available for women in your position. Go to this website: https://www.scmcbws.org/24-hour_hotline.asp and call the hotline. Counselors there will give you the support and advice you need to manage your situation safely. Another number to call is: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). Counselors are available 24/7 to talk with women who are in controlling and abusive relationships.

Then delete this website from your computer or phone and delete the phone call. Men who are controlling often get very threatened when they learn that the woman is looking for help. They then often make the situation even worse. In the future, use the computer at the library or at a friend’s house.