Home » Personality » Can a Person with a Narcissist Personality Be Helped?

Can a Person with a Narcissist Personality Be Helped?

I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder nearly 3 years ago and I started intensive group therapy in May last year. Since I have been talking about my issues, I have become well aware I exploit others in a narcissistic way and it really does concern me. I fell out with a girl because I couldn really get on with her and I realised I was actually bullying her but I did not think it at the time anyway. I got in contact with her and she told me how much I upset her and pushed her away.

The question I want to ask is, Can a person with a narcisstic personality be helped? Or could this actually be my personality if I didn’t have Borderline issues? As I dont have a lot of knowledge, I can’t see a way out because I think I am a this person out to look for vulnerable people.

Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns and I hope you can understand what I am saying.

Thanks.

A.

You were diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Maybe you are confusing narcissistic personality disorder with borderline personality disorder. They are not the same disorder.

You had been exploitive but had no awareness of it. As soon as you learned that you did something wrong, you felt guilty. Guilt is feeling regret for having done something wrong. The next logical progression is changing your behavior to avoid repeating your mistake.

When you learned that you were doing something wrong, your were open to correcting it. That is how we learn, grow and mature.

If a person becomes aware that they are harming others and wants to change, then there’s every reason to believe they can change.

It’s great that you’re already in counseling. It seems to be working. I would suggest discussing this matter with your therapy group. Allow them to support your desire to become a better person. Please take care.