Home » Disorders » Depression » Not Sure if I Have Depression or Not?

Not Sure if I Have Depression or Not?

From Australia: I’m 16. For the past year or so I’ve been having lengthened periods of extreme sadness, I’ve self harmed a lot (cutting, over exercising and limiting myself to eating only 800 calories a day)-not recently recently, although the past few days I have been having the urge to cut.for a period last year I was suicidal.my weight dropped 7kgs, leaving me at 50kgs.

I’m sad often for no reason, and its a deep sadness I can’t pull myself out of. I can’t tell my parents due to certain circumstances and therefore haven’t been able to seek help. Just would like an indication as to whether this sounds like depression?

Thanks!

Not Sure if I Have Depression or Not?

A.

If you can’t tell your parents, please do tell someone. I don’t know if you are depressed. I do know that you are more troubled than maybe you want to admit to yourself. You seem to be trying to use control as a strategy to feel better. But you have already found that dropping weight, over-exercising, controlling the urge to cut and struggling against sadness aren’t fixing whatever it is. If you could find peace by yourself, you would have already done it. Clearly you need help and support to identify what is wrong and to give your some new strategies for feeling more in control of your life.

Please consider talking to an adult you trust. That could be a relative, a teacher, school counselor, a doctor, or the parent of your best friend. Trust your instincts about who would be the best person to talk to. Ask for help finding a mental health counselor who specializes in working with teens. Therapy really does work. Please give it a chance.

I wish you well,

Not Sure if I Have Depression or Not?