Home » Personality » Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

Asked by on with 1 answer:

From the U.S.: I am 50 years old and have battled all sorts of issues in my life…but one that really stands out is that I lie all of the time, and I’ve progressively gotten worse. I have addiction and find it hard to stay sober because I can’t seem to stay honest. I’m desperate for help. I am thinking I should go check myself in to a psychiatric hospital…not sure though…please advise

Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

Answered by on -


Writing your letter is probably one of the more honest things you’ve done. You know you need help. You know you can’t get and stay sober on your own. If you’ve tried out-patient treatment and it’s been unsuccessful, you may be right that you need an in-hospital stay. Do talk to a therapist about how to find the right program. One size does not fit all. I suggest you find a program that has a solid group component. Other people who are struggling with the same issue are more likely to spot when you are being dishonest with yourself and them. They’ll call you on it. Yes, it will be painful at times but you can only deal with things that are brought out into the open. Having asked for help, you may be ready to accept some.

I wish you well,
Dr. Marie

Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder. Psych Central. Retrieved on March 23, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.