Home » Personality » Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

Concerned about Antisocial Personality Disorder

From the U.S.: I am 50 years old and have battled all sorts of issues in my life…but one that really stands out is that I lie all of the time, and I’ve progressively gotten worse. I have addiction and find it hard to stay sober because I can’t seem to stay honest. I’m desperate for help. I am thinking I should go check myself in to a psychiatric hospital…not sure though…please advise

A.

Writing your letter is probably one of the more honest things you’ve done. You know you need help. You know you can’t get and stay sober on your own. If you’ve tried out-patient treatment and it’s been unsuccessful, you may be right that you need an in-hospital stay. Do talk to a therapist about how to find the right program. One size does not fit all. I suggest you find a program that has a solid group component. Other people who are struggling with the same issue are more likely to spot when you are being dishonest with yourself and them. They’ll call you on it. Yes, it will be painful at times but you can only deal with things that are brought out into the open. Having asked for help, you may be ready to accept some.

I wish you well,