Home » Ask the Therapist » Why Do I Tell Lies?

Why Do I Tell Lies?

I don’t understand what is wrong with me. I make up lies to make myself seem more important. I lie about not sleeping or that I am in an abusive household for attention. I strive off of peoples reactions about me. I constantly think that others are thinking about me. When somebody connects with me, I automatically won’t let go of them. I will make excuses to talk to them, to see them. I go out of my way to say things that I hope people will pick up. Ex: “Yea I didn’t sleep for the past 3 nights. It’s whatever.” I have self harmed before from being stressed and going through a lot of family issues. But I will purposefully stretch out my arms in hopes of someone asking me where I got the scars. I have an extremely weird sex drive. I just have all these problems, and I don’t even know what to think. I just don’t understand any of it. I am so stressed. The more I think about it, the more my head hurts. Can you help?

Why Do I Tell Lies?

A.

You may do these things to get attention. It may be that in your home, it takes extraordinary problems or circumstances to get the attention of your family.

Another possibility is that you want sympathy. Sympathy is one way to get people to pay attention to you.

You said you lie to make yourself seem more important. You must feel that you need to be more important and thus you lie.

Those are all guesses but most importantly, this issue needs to be dealt with in therapy.

Ask your parents if they will help you find a therapist. Asking them for help might prompt them to ask why. Be honest with them about what is “stressing” you. Your parents may be open to family therapy. If they won’t help, ask the school guidance counselor. Perhaps he or she can convince your parents about the importance of therapy. Please take care.

Why Do I Tell Lies?