Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Will My OCD and Schizophrenia Come Back?

Will My OCD and Schizophrenia Come Back?

Hi, I’m 17 years old and although I haven’t been diagnosed I am 100% sure that I had early onset childhood schizophrenia and OCD (started around when I was 7 yrs old). My dad has schizophrenia and my mom and brother have Aspergers, if that’s relevant. The thing is most of my OCD went away around age 12 (I still do some compulsions) and I stopped having schizophrenia symptoms around age 10/11 and I was wondering if they actually went away or if they are just in remission. I’ve heard that sometimes OCD can go away partially (like in my case) but can schizophrenia go away? Or will it resurface in the future and should I get help now? Thank you so much.

A.

I always discourage self-diagnosis. Mental health professionals undergo years of rigorous educational training to understand the complexities of mental health conditions. You can’t be sure you had schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Maybe you did but absent an evaluation from a trained mental health professional, you can’t be sure.

Schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder are relatively rare among individuals under the age of 14. I’m not aware of any theories regarding schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder going into remission among young people.

If you’re worried about your mental health, it’s wise to seek help from a mental health professional. Having access to a mental health professional, with whom you can share your thoughts and experiences, can provide mental stability, emotional support and peace of mind. I hope you will consider it. Please take care.