Home » Parenting » I’m Not Sure if It Is Safe for the Father of My Children to Be Around Them

I’m Not Sure if It Is Safe for the Father of My Children to Be Around Them

The father to my two four month old twins has what I suspect to be schizophrenia, and I wanted to know if its safe for him to be around them. He has not been violent towards people to my knowledge but he has told me that he has very violent thoughts, also he told me about a month ago that he had blacked out and put holes in his walls he said all he remembers is waking in the bathroom with blood on him (he had a bloody nose). And he insists that nothing is wrong with him and will not try to get help. So again is it safe to have my children around him.?

A.

Most people with schizophrenia are not violent. Violence is not a symptom of schizophrenia. His having schizophrenia is not a valid reason to disallow visits with his children.

His violent thoughts, blacking out, engaging in violent behavior and refusing help, is reason to disallow his unsupervised visitation with the children. For those reasons, it is not safe to allow visits with the children.

Every visit with the children, until he is stable for at least six months and is actively participating in treatment and is no longer having violent thoughts, needs to be supervised.

Finally, if there are custody issues, a judge can order him to have a psychological evaluation. That way, an expert can determine his level of stability and make recommendations regarding his visits with the children. Consult an attorney to learn more. Please take care.