Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Talk to Others Because I Talk to Myself

I Can’t Talk to Others Because I Talk to Myself

Ever since I was young I talked to myself. But recently it’s been taking a turn for the worse. I can no longer communicate with the people around me. In my class, with my friends and even with my family. When I’m alone or I’m not interested in a conversation I’ll simply begin talking to myself. I’ve come up with other people in my head. A new group of friends, a romantic relationship, the only scary thing is that I’ve even thought of doing violent acts to those people and the people around me. When I try to talk to the people around me I just freeze up or I talk in my own humor which no one seems to get. I haven’t been able to make friends and my family is concerned I may have psychological issues. I don’t know how to stop though. I want to be able to talk with people an be friendly but every time I try I just feel like they don’t get me so I resort back to the people in my head. Am I a schizophrenic? Or am I crazy? I don’t know how to deal with it and if this continues I’m afraid it may get worse. I’m terrified of telling my mother this an my friends all called me a lunatic when I tried to explain it to them so I don’t know where else to go…? (From Canada)

A.

The fact that you noticed the trend of less socialization with others — and living more in your imaginary life — is important. The part of you that realizes this is the part that has that concern. Honor this unease. Since you are still in high school I recommend talking to your school guidance counselor. It would be important to talk to this trusted adult about this experience. The fact this is a concern to you is enough. I wouldn’t worry about the diagnosis — or labeling yourself as “crazy.” I would simply respect the fact that it makes you feel uncomfortable, and talk to someone who could help you sort through.