Home » I’m Having a Particularly Bad Day

I’m Having a Particularly Bad Day

From the U.S.: I’m having a particularly bad day. For the last week I’ve felt great. When I woke up this morning I had raging anger. I’m also having motivational issues. I have a family, but I can barely take care of myself. My husband recently lost his job also. I’m trying to find a therapist to replace my retired one but need some coping techniques until a therapist is established.

I’m Having a Particularly Bad Day

A.

It sounds to me like life has become particularly overwhelming lately. I can suggest a few things to do for yourself while you look for a therapist:

First, have you looked through the PsychCentral site for a community of like-minded people? The members of the groups here offer each other tremendous support as well as information. Click on the “community” tab on the PsychCentral home page.

Second, you might find it helpful to search on the web for some guided meditations. Sit quietly and follow your breath and the guidance of the teacher. Many people find that taking a little “time out” from reality every day is relaxing and refreshing.

Finally, make sure you are doing the basics: That means eat right, get at least 7 hours of sleep every night and get a half an hour of exercise every day (even if it’s just a walk). Our minds and bodies are connected. Taking care of the body eases the mind.

Do continue your search for a therapist. If you haven’t already, think about asking your primary care physician for a recommendation. Another option is to click on the “Find Help” tab on our homepage.

I’m Having a Particularly Bad Day