Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Controlling Parents

Controlling Parents

My boyfriend and I broke up in early November because my friends and family started saying that he was trying to keep me from them and started a rumor that he was a woman beater. My best friend heard this rumor and called my mother which in return she freaked out on my boyfriend. This rumor is not true, he has never laid a hand on me. Me and my boyfriend could not survive the rumors because and I tried to defend my parents. Since then I moved out of his house and into my parents. My parents are over bearing and undermine everything I do with my 5 year old child. I am 27 years old and afraid to tell my parents that I want to work things out with my ex boyfriend, I’m afraid to talk to him on the phone around my parents, or see him. My parents told me that if i ever moved back in with him that they would try to take my daughter from me. I am a good mother and have done nothing to deserve this. Please help I need an outside source.

Controlling Parents

A.

As a mother and 27-year-old your first priority is to find more independence. Your parents have too much say in your life — you are an adult and a being treated like a child. You need to plan to get out from under their control and influence. My guess is you’re living at home for financial reasons. It is time to make a plan to change that. The psychological process of this is called individuation. The goal would be to not live with your boyfriend, but to find a way to be less dependent on your parents and more self-reliant.

Right now your parents have too much say into your life because you are relying on them. Even if the plan takes a year to carry out — I believe you need to move toward greater freedom. You may want to get some advice and help from the local woman center. Most counties have one, and they can help you find resources to achieve this goal. I know this may seem difficult, but the woman’s center can help, and low-cost counseling through you community hospital can be an additional resource. Until you are out from under your parent’s influence — they will continue to have more say in your life than you want.

Controlling Parents