Home » Have Periods of Feeling Really Low, Anger Issues, Very Irritable, Rely on Alcohol to Control These Episodes

Have Periods of Feeling Really Low, Anger Issues, Very Irritable, Rely on Alcohol to Control These Episodes

Hi, for about 3 years now I have been feeling low on and off, sometimes I’m fine, then sometimes I feel really irritable/angry/low. I just flip, out of know where sometimes. I depend on alcohol when this happens as I feel it relaxes me, I know this isn’t the right way of dealing with things, but it definitely helps. I shut off friends during these episodes. I have been to see a counselor recently, but felt really stupid, couldn’t speak to her and cancelled the rest of the sessions. I was emotionally and physically bullied by someone who was close to me when i was younger. I haven’t ever told anyone about this, i’m worried if i shared this information in a counseling session that the police will be informed. I have very low self esteem and i lack in confidence. Do you have any idea what this is? Or what i can do to help this? Thanks for your time!

A.

Drinking is a symptom of your emotional suffering. You drink to drown your pain. The biggest problem is that your misperceptions about counseling are preventing you from attending counseling.

There is no reason to “feel stupid.” It’s a fallacy to believe that people are born knowing how to solve their problems. We don’t have that mentality about physical health problems. We shouldn’t have that mentality about mental health problems.

Counseling is confidential. Most everything you say in therapy is private. Therapists can break confidentiality only when his or her client presents a risk of serious harm (i.e. threats of suicide and homicide) to themselves or to others. Your revealing who bullied you is not a reason to break confidentiality.

You obviously know that something is wrong. You recognize that drinking is an ineffective solution. The mistake you made was canceling your therapy sessions. You were on the right track when you chose counseling. You can correct that by getting back to counseling. Start your first session by discussing your fears about counseling. Bring it all up to your therapist and do so in the first five minutes of your first session. Please take care.