Home » Relationships » Sexuality » Sexual Identity and Anxiety

Sexual Identity and Anxiety

My daughter has recently been having anxiety issues but only at school. She won’t walk down corridors etc without panicking and cries in the toilets. She has severe anxiety surrounding one teacher with no real reason. I have recently discovered she has a bit of a crush on another girl and is having a lot of conversations with her online. The girl is at the school but in the year above. Can anyone help to explain this, could she possibly projecting confusion about her sexuality onto this teacher? I asked her how she felt at school and she mentioned a fear of being judged, there is none of this to my knowledge outside of the school environment. (From the UK)

Sexual Identity and Anxiety

A.

It’s too hard to know from your description what might be upsetting your daughter. Her age, prior background, and outside circumstances would change the answer.

However, her behavior seems upsetting enough that you may want to bring her to a child psychologist or psychiatrist for an evaluation. I recommend finding somebody who specializes in working with children your daughter’s age. Here she will be likely to ask the right questions and give you feedback about the next best thing to do.

Sexual Identity and Anxiety