Home » Depression » I Think I May Have Depression and a Kind of Anxiety

I Think I May Have Depression and a Kind of Anxiety

Hi, I’m a 13 year old trans guy and I’ve just moved to a foreign country, I don’t speak the language. I’ve been feeling very depressed for over 6 months. Lately I’ve also been noticing how much anxiety I feel when doing things like going to school, talking to people, going to the store and generally going out of my house and socializing. I think people here dislike me and judge me all the time. But other than that, I’ve just been generally feeling very very sad all the time and I don’t know why. I know that gender dysphoria is a factor, seeing as I hate my body and all, but I don’t think it’s everything. I just generally see my life and myself as stupid and hopeless. Sometimes I harm myself too. That’s the short summary.

Now I thought about seeking professional help, but my parents are heavily against the idea of me being this way. I’ve tried telling them that I feel sad and anxious all the time, but they’d laugh, call me crazy or tell me to get over it. I think their reaction would be very bad if I told them I want to seek help. Also this language barrier makes it impossible for me to actually talk to a psychiatrist here, right? Nobody here speaks good English either. I asked and it doesn’t seem like my gymnasium has a counselor or something like that that I could talk to about my problems. I’m sorry if you’ve answered something like this before. I just really don’t know what to do. I don’t want to feel like this all the time. (From Austria)

A.

I understand this type of isolation and am glad you wrote. The culture and language barriers set you apart in a way that increases rather then diminishes your anxiety. I believe it is worth the effort to find a therapist who speaks English. It may not be as difficult as you think. Until then, I recommend you connect on our forums so you can chat with others — at least virtually. You may also want to ask your parents about a network of other families who have come to Austria before you — to see if they might be of help.