Home » I Can’t Speak Properly

I Can’t Speak Properly

People don’t understand me and it has been happening for a while now, maybe for the past few years. I believe it has gotten worse over time. Every time I try to speak and have a conversation with someone my words just end up getting mixed up. Sometimes I can’t even find the right words to say. My mind just goes blank or I can’t get the word off the tip of my tongue. I haven’t seeked professional help yet because I thought it was just there because I’m overthinking it. I also find it hard to explain things. It’s worrying me quite a lot. Should I just try to not think about it every time I try to speak? Should I seek help in the real world? (age 16, from Canada)

I Can’t Speak Properly

A.

I’m sorry that you are having these difficulties. Yes I do believe that you should seek professional help. I would first recommend seeing a speech therapist because many of the issues you are mentioning here fall under that specialty. I believe it could help you a great deal. Additionally, you might also consider seeing a mental health counselor to help deal with the anxiety that the situations create. You are still young enough that you can get help with this issue and become much more comfortable with speaking.

I Can’t Speak Properly