Home » Disorders » Depression » Dealing With Depression

Dealing With Depression

I am a first year medical student. I’ve been a depression sufferer for many years but now I feel it’s getting intense. I feel trapped in my thoughts. I feel worthless most of the time. My self esteem is extremely low. Feeling of hopelessness and guilt has taken over my life. It’s hard for me to concentrate on studies. I am very harsh on myself and criticism myself even in slightest mistake. I feel powerless. Please help me.

Dealing With Depression

A.

You wrote that you have been experiencing symptoms of depression for years, but you don’t mention having consulted a mental health professional. Treating your mental health should be no different than treating your physical health. When you notice that something is wrong, you shouldn’t wait to have an evaluation.

Evidence suggests that depression is a highly treatable condition. There are medications and therapies that target symptoms of depression. Treatment can reduce or even eliminate your symptoms. In the absence of treatment, your symptoms will likely continue, probably grow worse and further diminish the quality of your life.

You noted that it’s hard for you to concentrate on your studies. If you don’t do well in school, you risk failing. When you consider the fact that depression could lead to your having to drop out of medical school, then it becomes apparent that treatment is a necessity to your future happiness and success.

It would be wisest to consult a mental health professional. Please take care.

Dealing With Depression