Home » Disorders » Sleep » My Niece Is Disturbed and Withdrawn

My Niece Is Disturbed and Withdrawn

It is about my niece. She is withdrawn, hardly smiles and likes to draw disturbing images. My sister passed away 4 years back. Her daughter is 12 years old is very quite and withdrawn she does not like to talk about her feelings. She sometimes open up to me recently her drawing are very dark and disturbing, she likes horror and draws this black faceless figure, when I asked who is that she said it was Slender man who lives in forest and take children and murder them. She also said she likes this ponies cartoon where they torture and kill each other. She stills wets her bed and wears her hair in such a way that her whole face is hiding. She use to soil her panties also but after much talk this has stopped. Please help me, how can I save her? (From Pakistan)

My Niece Is Disturbed and Withdrawn

A.

Thank you for writing to us. I admire your desire to help your niece, and it is time to get some professional help involved. I believe the first step is to have her see a physician to rule out any medical concern. After that, the physician is in the best position to find out what kind of therapy may be helpful for your niece in grieving her mother’s death. I would do this sooner rather than later.

My Niece Is Disturbed and Withdrawn